5 Tips on how to read and meditate on the Word of God
1. Find a quiet place
Meditating on the Bible is a great way for you to connect with God, so make sure you find a quiet place to read, without any distractions. By doing this, you will be able to focus your mind on hearing and understanding the voice of God.
2. Always pray beforehand
Before meditating on any verses, you should always make a prayer, asking God to speak to you through the bible verse or chapter that you will read. It is His word after all, so, who better to guide you through it and help you gain a better understanding?
3. When reading ask yourself the 5 W’S:
WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? WHY?
- What does this verse mean?
- What significant words are repeated? They are probably important.
- Look up the meaning of any words you do not know.
- Is there anything in the verse you need to OBEY? If so, decide immediately what action you are going to take.
4. Make notes and highlight what is important
Feel free to make a note of what God has spoken to you in the reading session. Noting things down can help you widen your understanding of the verse. Do not hesitate to underline, write in the margins, or circle words that are important to you.
5. Think about how you will apply God’s Word to your life and TAKE ACTION!
When meditating on the Word of God you should seek to understand how what you have read applies to your day-to-day life and put it into practice. By doing this you will be able to get the most out of your meditation. Think of it this way, the word of God is like a seed, unless you plant it (act upon what it says) it will not be able to spring out and bear fruit in your life.