1. Find a quiet place
Meditating on the Bible is a great way to connect with God so, make sure you find a quiet place to read, without any distractions. By doing this, you will be able to focus your mind on hearing and understanding the voice of God.
2. Always pray beforehand
Before meditating on any Bible verse, you should always make a prayer, asking God to speak to you through the Bible verse or chapter that you will read. It is His word after all so, who better to guide you through it and help you gain a better understanding than God Himself?
3. When reading ask yourself the 5 W’S:
WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? WHY?
- Who is speaking here? Is it God, man, the devil?
- What does this passage mean? What is it about? What significant words are repeated? They are probably important.
- When did this happen?
- Why did this happen?
- Where did this take place? Where can I find other verses in reference to this passage?
- Look up the meaning of any words you do not know. Is there anything in the verse you need to OBEY? If so, decide immediately what action you are going to take.
4. Make notes and highlight what is important
Feel free to make a note of what God has spoken to you in the reading session. Writing things down can help you broaden your understanding of the verse. Do not hesitate to underline, write in the margins, or circle words that are important to you.
5. Think about how you will apply God’s Word to your life and TAKE ACTION!
When meditating on the Word of God you should seek to understand how what you have read applies to your day-to-day life and put it into practice. By doing this, you will be able to get the most out of your meditation.
Think of it this way, the word of God is like a seed—unless you plant it (act upon what it says), it will not be able to spring forth and bear fruit in your life.