People who will NOT enter the Kingdom of Heaven…
“But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.” Revelation 22.15.
- Dogs: This is not a reference to 4-legged animals, nor is it a personal insult to anyone. Dogs were the way some Jews referred to people who were not born in Israel. Jesus told the Syrophoenecian woman that was asking for His help, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and cast it to the dogs,” Matthew 15.26. These are people that brush God aside, laugh at Him or do not take their faith seriously.
When it comes to the church, these are people who have not yet decided to put God first in their lives. Inside the church they behave and act like sincere Christians, but it’s just an act; outside the church they do what they and the devil want and behave like any run-of-the-mill unbeliever. As a result, they are strangers to God’s Kingdom.
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven,” Matthew 7.21.
- Sorcerers: At first glance, these are people who practice witchcraft and consult mediums and psychics, etc. Maybe you already know that the devil works through these things and have decided to stay away from them. But according to the Bible, there is another type of witchcraft that is practiced by many people inside churches, who don’t even know they’re committing this sin— rebelliousness.
According to God’s Word, rebellious people are those who do not submit to and respect the authority placed over them. Things always have to be done their way, and their will comes before God’s. They are rebellious, and “…rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry,” 1 Samuel 15.23.
The Lord Jesus Himself demonstrated humility and submission when He gave up His own will in favor of the Father’s: “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will but as You will,” Matthew 26.39.
- The sexually immoral: Every sexual act outside of the husband-wife union is sinful. Intimacy was created by God as a means of procreation and pleasure between two people bound by the covenant of marriage. When single people give into their flesh and sleep with one another, or when a spouse is unfaithful and commits adultery, their names will not be included in the Book of Life. Unless they repent and turn away from their sinful behavior, there is no salvation for these people.
Note: A person can commit adultery or fornication without ever being physically involved with another person. Jesus said, “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart,” Matthew 5.27-28.
- Murderers: By definition, a murderer is someone who commits, aids in or plans a murder—the killing of another human being. An interesting aspect of this verse is that the Word of God says, “Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him,” 1 John 3.15. This includes those who feel hatred for someone, who hold grudges and who refuse to forgive, etc.
- Idolaters: Anything that occupies first place in a person’s life—God’s rightful place—is automatically an idol. “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me,” Matthew 10.37.
- Liars: The Bible clearly reveals the source of all lies: the devil. He was the first being on earth to lie, “And the woman said to the serpent, ‘We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, “You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.”’ Then the serpent said to the woman, ‘You will not surely die,’” Genesis 3:2-4.
Jesus also rebuked the religious when He said, “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do… When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it,” John 8.44.
The reason behind a lie is not important; lies always glorify the devil. We cannot overcome the devil by using his resources (weapons). Lying places you in the camp of the father of lies, and sentences you to the same final destination as the devil, along with the other five types of people mentioned here.
“And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.” Revelation 20.15.