Attacks of the devil are like viruses, coming against the body of Christ — the Church. The first virus we will deal with is:
VIRUS no. 1 – DEFAMATION (lies, character assassination and persecution).
Take a minute to think about what Jesus says here: “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you…” (Matthew 5.11-12).
The first “virus” to be used by the devil to infect humanity was lies and deception (Genesis 3.1-5). After convincing Eve to believe in a half-truth (equal to or worse than a complete lie), Eve was invaded by satan, and in turn contaminated Adam.
The devil still uses this virus, deceiving the unprepared and causing them to be inconsistent with God and the church. But he no longer speaks through a serpent. Now he uses people who are servants of darkness and through certain means of communication to lie about true servants of Jesus.
Our Lord has already warned us about what to expect from the world when we truly serve God: don’t expect help, praise or understanding, only insults, persecution, hatred and defamation.
He said: “You will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake.” Matthew 24.9.
In our Church, we are unafraid to speak the truth, attack the devil and destroy his works. For this very reason the world, which is under the control of the devil, hates us. Look at what people said about the Lord Jesus when He was on earth:
- He is a glutton and a friend of sinners: “Look, a glutton and a drunkard (winebibber), a friend of tax collectors and sinners!” Matthew 11.19.
- He is demon-possessed. “Then the Jews answered and said to Him, ‘Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?’” John 8.48.
- He is Beelzebub, the prince of demons: “But some of them said, ‘He casts out demons by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.’” Luke 11.15.
If our Lord were still here on earth, without a doubt the devil would attack Him with the same lies. But since he cannot do anything against Him, the devil directs his attacks at the Church in an attempt to weaken the body of Christ.
We cannot accept this virus. Below are some things the devil says to infect the Church of Jesus today:
- This is a cult. The Church of Jesus was also called a cult. For we have found this man (Jesus) a plague… a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes,” Acts 24.5.
- The pastors are thieves. The pastors work seven days a week serving God, have no vacations and do not own houses or significant material possessions. If they were interested in material possessions, they wouldn’t even have the time to enjoy them.
- The pastors are involved in the occult. The same or worse was said about the Lord Jesus (see above).
- The church asks too much offering. You know that no one is forced to do anything. The church does not charge for any ceremony that the members need (marriage, baptism, burial…). All of the tithes and offerings are used for the advancement of the Kingdom of God.
When the devil hates a church, he will persecute it. When the devil hates a pastor, he will persecute him. If you decide to do the will of God, you will be hated by the devil and he will persecute you too. (Revelation 2.9-10).
Tomorrow, you’ll find out the vaccine to virus #1…